If you're following my Weight Watchers journey, you know how strongly I feel about the…
These Ghost cupcakes are perfect for Halloween and really easy to make! This is also a great recipe for kids to make!
The holiday season is upon us and Halloween is the perfect time to start baking! Whether you are having a Halloween party or just want an easy festive dessert, these ghost cupcakes will be perfect!
The cake portion of these cupcakes are literally two ingredients and also Weight Watchers friendly! If you are following Weight Watchers there are points listed down below for all of the new plans!
Before we get to the good stuff, if you are looking for a list of the BEST Halloween movies, you have to see this list! It’s filled with classics and family-friendly!
Ingredients for Ghost Cupcakes
For the Cake
Cake Mix – We used Devil’s Food, but you can use any chocolate cake mix you like
Dark Soda – Use any type of cola, if you are on Weight Watchers diet soda lowers the points, but you can always use regular and adjust as needed
For the Ghost Cupcake Icing
Frozen Topping – AKA Cool Whip! Just let it thaw before adding to the mixture
Milk – We used 2%, but feel free to try almond or coconut, just not sure if the consistency will be the same!
Powdered Sugar – we only used ¼ cup, but if the consistency isn’t right, you can always add more
A dash of salt
Mini Chocolate Chips – Use whatever brand you like, our favorite is Lily’s Chocolate
Kitchen Tools Needed:
Ziploc Bag or Piping Bag
How To Ice Cupcakes
Here’s a little trick to making your cupcakes pretty and tall. You may typically use a spoon or spatula to ice the cupcakes, but in order for them to look like ghosts, the icing needs to be somewhat taller.
You can use a cake piping bag with a tip, or you can cut a small slit in the corner of a Ziploc bag. Either way, you will put the icing in then with slow and medium pressure on the way pipe out the icing while picking it up at the same time. Just so you know there is a video that goes along with the recipe so you can watch that too!
Tips for Making
- Do not ice the cupcakes while they are hot.
- Be sure to transfer to a wire rack so during the cooling process they don't get soggy.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge since the icing contains dairy.
- Don’t let your icing sit out too long before using, or it will not be stiff enough. Refrigerate after mixing if needed.
Weight Watchers Points
If you are using regular Devil’s Food Cake Mix for 12 cupcakes 9 points on ALL plans; for 24 cupcakes 4 points on ALL plans.
For Pillsbury Sugar-Free Devils Food Cake Mix for 12 cupcakes 6 points on ALL plans; for 24 cupcakes 3 points on ALL plans.
Points are calculated per cupcake and a dollop of icing. If you make changes to the recipe be sure to calculate the points for WW.
Other Halloween Recipes and Ideas – Great For Kids!
- Bloody Band-Aids (a great last-minute idea)
- Zombie Cupcakes
- Easy Halloween Bark
- Bloody Monster Bark
- Fall Snack Mix
- 50 Recipes to use LEFTOVER Halloween Candy
Easy Halloween Ghost Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
- 1 box Devils Food Cake Mix can use sugar free
- 1 12oz can of dark soda use diet or regular
For the Icing
- 1 container of Cool Whip use light or regular
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 box instant vanilla pudding mix small box
- dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine cake mix and soda, stir until combined.
- Line cupcake pan with liners. Fill 1/2 to ⅔ of the way full with the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-12 minutes.
- Combine the pudding mix, powdered sugar, vanilla, salt, and milk in a mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed with a mixer until well blended. ** Do not overmix!
- Fold in the Cool Whip.
- Let cupcakes cool for a few minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack. After they have completely cooled, start icing.
- Pipe the cool whip or icing using a Ziploc bag with a small hole cut in the corner or use a cake piping bag with an open cake decorating tip (preferably a bigger one). Pipe in a circular motion to be sure your icing is tall enough to look like a ghost and have room to place your chocolate chips.
- Place the mini chocolate chips for eyes and the mouth.
Nutritional information is provided as a reference, using an online calculator. We recommend verifying the information independently.