I am kind of picky when it comes to what I let my kids eat.…
If you're looking for a delicious Easter dessert, look no further than these Easy Easter Basket Cupcakes with Key Lime Icing! Trying to avoid the candy and sweets this year? Try 50 Alternatives to Candy in Easter Baskets.
These are are a fun Easter dessert, but could be made in different colors for pretty much any holiday!
— cupcakes (a box mix is fine), baked and cooled
— ingredients listed below for icing
— green twizzlers
— Easter peanut M&Ms
— coconut + green food coloring
Use a box of funfetti cake mix for these cupcakes for a colorful treat! Bake cupcakes as directed on the box, or go all Suzy Homemaker and bake them from scratch. Either way, just make them yummy! The real fun is in the icing! After cupcakes are cooled, add a green Twizzler (see below) and then ice and top with coconut and M&Ms.
Key Lime Icing (Wilton's recipe)
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons key lime juice
1 teaspoon key lime zest or 1 teaspoon lemon zest
4 -5 cups confectioners' sugar
Combine ingredients in bowl and mix well. If icing is too thin you can add more confectioners' sugar a little at a time.
Green Coconut Grass
In a zip loc bag, combine 2 teaspoons water with 9 drops green food coloring. Add 1 cup shredded coconut. Zip bag and shake until all coconut is green.
Ice cupcakes, then add coconut and peanut M&Ms on top. Serve and WOW your guests!
Easy Easter Basket Cupcakes with Key Lime Icing (Thanks Wiltons)
- Cupcakes baked and cooled
- 8 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter softened
- 1 8 Ounce Pkg. Cream Cheese softened
- 2 Tbsp. Key Lime Juice
- 1 Tsp. Key Lime Zest or 1 Tsp. Lemon Zest
- 4 -5 C. Confectioners’ Sugar
- Green Twizzlers
- Easter Peanut M&Ms
- Coconut + Green Food Coloring
- Combine butter, cream cheese, Key Lime juice, Key Lime or Lemon zest, and Confectioners' sugar in bowl and mix well, adding more Confectioners' sugar as needed for desired thickness.
- Make Green Coconut Grass by combining combine 2 teaspoons water with 9 drops green food coloring and 1 cup shredded coconut in a Zip Lock bag. Zip closed and shake until all coconut is green.
- Add a Green Twizzler basket handle to each cupcake.
- Ice cupcakes.
- Add green coconut and peanut M&Ms on top.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Nutritional information is provided as a reference, using an online calculator. We recommend verifying the information independently.