If you're looking for a delicious Easter dessert, look no further than these Easy Easter…
Easter is right around the corner, so it's time to get baking! Key Lime Easter Cupcakes sound delicious, don't they?
Once in a while, I set out on a journey to make amazing cupcakes, and it actually happens. Then there's the other 90% of the time that I don't tell you about. However, these cupcakes are too flippin' funny not to show you.
If Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch got together and made little cupcake babies, this is what they'd look like. Might as well share the recipe, though, right?
Key Lime Easter Cupcakes
2 large eggs
1 3/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated white sugar, divided
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
Key Lime Frosting
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons Key lime zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 (16-oz.) package powdered sugar
3 tablespoons Key lime juice
1 to 2 Tbsp. milk
Coconut (dyed yellow)
Combine ingredients to make cake, bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes. Read full recipe if you'd like more complete instructions.. but it's white cake mix, not rocket science. ;) Or, use a box mix. That's what I should've done. Then the fail wouldn't have hurt as bad.
Combine frosting ingredients, beat on low speed until desired consistency is reached. Read the full recipe for more detailed instructions.
To dye the coconut yellow, combine 1 tablespoon water with 10 drops yellow food coloring in a zip loc baggie. Add 1 cup shredded coconut and shake until mixed thoroughly. Add coconut to the top of the icing, and then finish off with eyeballs (preferably ones that aren't as huge as the ones I used), and something orange for the mouth. I used a Twizzlers.
Key Lime Easter Cupcakes (Thank you Joy of Baking.com)
- 2 Lg. Eggs
- 1 3/4 C. Flour
- 2 Tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp. Salt
- 1/2 C. Unsalted Butter at room temperature
- 1 C. Granulated White Sugar divided
- 1 Tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 C. Milk
- 1/8 Tsp. Cream of Tartar
- 1/2 C. Butter softened
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Key Lime Zest
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 Tsp. Salt
- 1 16 Ounce Pkg. Powdered Sugar
- 3 Tbsp. Key Lime Juice
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. milk
- Coconut dyed yellow
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Fill 12 muffin cups with liners.
- In medium bowl, beat 1/2 cup butter until smooth.
- Add sugar and beat until fluffy and light.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
- Add vanilla and beat well.
- In small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt and cream of tartar.
- Add dry ingredients and milk to the butter/sugar mixture, alternating each and stirring well after each addition.
- Evenly distribute batter between muffin cups.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes.
- While cupcakes are cooling, make the icing by combining butter, Key Lime zest, vanilla, salt, powdered sugar, and Key Lime juice and mixing at low speed until consistency desired, adding 1 to 2 Tablespoons milk if needed.
- Ice the cupcakes when they are cool.
- Top with yellow coconut.
- Decorate as desired.
- Serve and Enjoy!