This gluten free apple pie (or crisp) is so delicious, you won't even miss the... gluten. Well,…
We're vegetarians, so we're all about the fruit, man. I partnered with Kauffman's Fruit Farm for a series of posts, and am so excited to share them. I mean, who doesn't love healthy recipes, right?
I love healthy. But I also own a deep fryer.
The struggle is real.
And, judging by the title of this post, you know which side won the struggle. I promise next month's recipe will be a liiiitttle lighter. Until then, read on.
Mini Caramel Apple Pie Bombs
Biscuits (I used butter flavored ones. Because, butter.)
Apples – Mine came from Kauffman's.
Apple Butter – From Kauffman's, too!
Caramel (I made mine own, but you can use the stuff in a jar. It's going in the deep fryer – who cares?)
Because this was a new recipe for me, I tried doing these a few different ways. The way that seemed to work best is the one I'm going to show you.
Peel, core, and dice the apples.
Preheat the deep fryer.
If you're making caramel, now's the time. I literally mixed brown sugar, butter, vanilla, and heavy cream on the stove and brought it to a boil. It's delicious, but you can save a little time by buying caramel sundae topping. Add a little apple butter to the caramel, to make the flavor POP!
Roll out your biscuits, one at a time, on a cutting board. If they start to stick, add a little flour to the board before setting the next one down. Cut the biscuits in half if they're JUMBO like mine were.
Dip the diced apples into the caramel apple butter mixture, then place a few (depending on how small you diced them, and the size of your biscuit) onto your biscuit. Cover with a little extra caramel apple butter and then pinch the dough together to form a little “bomb”. It's kind of like a wonton at this point.
Deep fry for just a few minutes – your times will vary so I'd say start with a minute or two on each side. Drizzle with apple butter caramel, then top with whipped cream!
Some of them might come undone if you put too much of the mixture, or if your biscuit isn't flat enough, or any number of other reasons. If they open up, embrace it. Just serve them flat, with extra whipping cream on top!
Mini Caramel Apple Pie Bombs
- Apple Butter
- Caramel Sundae Topping or brown sugar, butter, vanilla, and heavy cream to make your own
- Whipped Cream
- Peel, core, and dice the apples.
- Preheat the deep fryer.
- Make caramel by mixing brown sugar, butter, vanilla, and heavy cream on the stove and bringing it to a boil. (or use caramel sundae topping).
- Add a little apple butter to the caramel for flavor.
- Roll out your biscuits, one at a time, on a cutting board, adding flour to the board as needed. Cut the biscuits in half if they’re too big.
- Dip the diced apples into the caramel apple butter mixture, then place a few onto your biscuit.
- Cover with a little extra caramel apple butter and then pinch the dough together to form a little “bomb”, like a wonton.
- Deep fry for just a few minutes, a minute or two on each side.
- Drizzle with apple butter caramel, then top with whipped cream!
Nutritional information is provided as a reference, using an online calculator. We recommend verifying the information independently.