I'm heading to a screening of Oz the Great and Powerful on March 4th! So,…
I got this Red Velvet Cupcakes With Oreos recipe from Will Cook for Smiles and it turned out great so I wanted to share it with you guys! To make it a bit less fattening, use skim milk instead of buttermilk (tastes the same), and use reduced fat Oreos. Doesn't make it super healthy by any means, but they're delicious enough to justify a sweet treat once in a while!
Red Velvet Cupcakes With Oreos
These red velvet cupcakes are super moist! The cream cheese frosting is just icing on the cake. ;) You can omit the Oreos or even add chocolate chips… the possibilities are endless! So, let's get baking!
For the cupcakes:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tbs cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
2 large eggs, room temperature
3 tsp red food coloring (optional)
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
10 Oreo Cookies, crushed (Plus 3 for topping)
For the frosting:
2 8 oz packages of cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup of butter, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups powder sugar
Preheat oven to 350F. Line cupcake/muffin tin with liners; set aside.
Using an electric mixer, beat together oil, eggs, milk, food coloring (optional), vinegar, and vanilla. Once combined, add in the dry ingredients and beat on low until smooth. Add the crushed Oreos and stir by hand.
Scoop batter into cupcake liners, filling 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting:
Using electric mixer, cream together butter, cream cheese, and vanilla until smooth. Add in powdered sugar, and beat until light and fluffy. Frost the cupcakes, then top with crushed Oreos.
Do you LOVE red velvet cupcakes as much as I do?
Red Velvet Cupcakes With Oreos (Thank you Will Cook For Smiles.com)
- 2 1/2 C. Flour
- 1 C. Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/4 Tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/2 C. Vegetable Oil
- 1 C. Buttermilk room temperature
- 2 Lg. Eggs room temperature
- 3 Tsp. Red Food Coloring optional
- 1 Tsp. White Vinegar
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 10 Oreo Cookies crushed (Plus 3 for topping)
- 2 8 Ounce Pkgs. Cream Cheese room temperature
- 1/2 C. Butter room temperature
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 3 C. Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line cupcake/muffin tin with liners; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together oil, eggs, milk, food coloring (optional), vinegar, and vanilla.
- Once combined, add in the dry ingredients and beat on low until smooth.
- Add the crushed Oreos and stir by hand.
- Scoop batter into cupcake liners, filling 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- While cupcakes cool, make the frosting by creaming together butter, cream cheese, and vanilla until smooth, using an electric mixer. Add in powdered sugar, and beat until light and fluffy.
- When the cupcakes are cool, frost and top with crushed Oreos.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Nutritional information is provided as a reference, using an online calculator. We recommend verifying the information independently.